Functional Skills Maths
Functional Skills Maths
The aim of this course is to promote mathematical thinking and transferable skills rather than rote learning.
You will benefit from the teaching of useful mathematics, for everyday life situations and the world of work.
Additionally, our aim is to emphasise the benefits of maths to people who have been “turned off” by the subject.
Teaching will be done in groups of 10-15 learners with your tutor.
You will be expected to undertake independent study.
WHAT THIS COURSE COVERS:
- Use of positive and negative numbers of any size in practical contexts
- How to carry out calculations with numbers of any size in practical contexts, to a given number of decimal places
- Understand, use and calculate ratio and proportion, including problems involving scale
- Understand and use equivalences between fractions, decimals and percentages
- Understand and use simple formulae and equations involving one- or two-step operations
- Recognise and use 2D representations of 3D objects
- Find area, perimeter and volume of common shapes
- Use, convert and calculate using metric and, where appropriate, imperial measures
- Collect and represent discrete and continuous data, using ICT where appropriate
- Use and interpret statistical measures, tables and diagrams, for discrete and continuous data, using ICT where appropriate
- Use statistical methods to investigate situations
- Use probability to assess the likelihood of an outcome
- Problem-solving using money
- Practical application of area, perimeter, volume and capacity
- Using averages, percentages, probability and ratios to support decision making
Classroom Online. We have adapted our classroom courses to online learning to support you through these difficult times. You can still expect the same high standards of support from our tutors who will continue to deliver classroom-based courses in the format of Zoom seminars and Teams online classes. You can also expect regular one to one support via e-mail and phone calls.
You will need internet access and a working tablet, laptop or PC.
You will complete 1 Mathematics assessment. A single assessment covers all of the Functional Skills Mathematics criteria. It can be attempted as soon as the candidate is ready. The exam will be externally marked by City&Guilds. Upon successful completion of the course, you will be awarded a Functional Skills in Maths Certificate.
Who is this course for?
This course is suitable for students of various ages and from a diverse background in terms of lifelong learning.
If you are interested in applying, please complete the following quick form and we will be in contact to support you with your application. You will receive useful information about whether you are eligible for government funding, course fees, start dates and much more.
We have a variety of start dates every month
9:30 - 15:00
(1h lunch break)
Fully funded subject to eligibility criteria