Functional Skills Maths
Functional Skills Maths
The aim of this course is to promote mathematical thinking and transferable skills rather than rote learning.
You will benefit from the teaching of useful mathematics, for everyday life situations and the world of work.
Additionally, our aim is to emphasise the benefits of maths to people who have been “turned off” by the subject.
Teaching will be done in groups of 10-15 learners with your tutor.
You will be expected to undertake independent study, and having access to a computer will be beneficial.
Other locations Battersea, Penge, Lewisham.
You will complete 1 Mathematics assessment. A single assessment covers all of the Functional Skills Mathematics criteria. It can be attempted as soon as the candidate is ready. The exam will be externally marked by City&Guilds. Upon successful completion of the course, you will be awarded a Functional Skills in Maths Certificate.
Who is this course for?
This course is suitable for students of various ages and from diverse background in terms of lifelong learning.
WHAT THIS COURSE COVERS:
- Use of positive and negative numbers of any size in practical contexts
- How to carry out calculations with numbers of any size in practical contexts, to a given number of decimal places
- Understand, use and calculate ratio and proportion, including problems involving scale
- Understand and use equivalences between fractions, decimals and percentages
- Understand and use simple formulae and equations involving one- or two-step operations
- Recognise and use 2D representations of 3D objects
- Find area, perimeter and volume of common shapes
- Use, convert and calculate using metric and, where appropriate, imperial measures
- Collect and represent discrete and continuous data, using ICT where appropriate
- Use and interpret statistical measures, tables and diagrams, for discrete and continuous data, using ICT where appropriate
- Use statistical methods to investigate situations
- Use probability to assess the likelihood of an outcome
- Problem-solving using money
- Practical application of area, perimeter, volume and capacity
- Using averages, percentages, probability and ratios to support decision making
If you are interested in applying, please complete the following quick form and we will be in contact to support you with your application. You will receive useful information about whether you are eligible for government funding, course fees, start dates and much more.
Courses run for 10 weeks - Various start dates and we are enrolling now for this course. To book your place, please complete the form below.
FAST TRACK - 2 days per week for 7 weeks
STANDARD - 2 days per week for 2 weeks followed by 1 day per week for 10 weeks
9:30 - 15:00
(1h lunch break)
Fully funded subject to eligibility criteria.